The use of a pyrotechnic article must comply with the requirements of public behavior and public order.
Pyrotechnic articles of categories F4 and T2 may only be used by a pyrotechnic article handler.
The use of a detonator is prohibited, except by a pyrotechnician using it in the course of his trade, business, or profession.
The use of red flares and other flares of similar color used as part of a ship's safety equipment is prohibited at sea and onshore without an emergency. You may not use signal flares for fireworks.
Rules for the use of pyrotechnic articles:
- buy pyrotechnic articles only from an official point of sale, not from a person on the street or social media.
- Safe and compliant pyrotechnic articles always carry a CE mark and instructions for use in Estonian on the packaging.
- Check that the pyrotechnic article is free from external mechanical damage; if any, return the article to the seller.
- Keep the pyrotechnic article in a dry place and avoid getting it wet or damp.
- Read the instructions for use accompanying the pyrotechnic article and act accordingly.
- Choose the right time and place to use the pyrotechnic article and consider other people and animals.
- If there is strong wind outside, do not use fireworks.
- Do not use fireworks while under the influence of alcohol or psychotropic substances.
- Do not use fireworks in a place where their use could create a dangerous situation. The safe distance is indicated on the product packaging.
- You must not throw the pyrotechnic article in the direction of other people or animals.
- Ensure that there are no obstacles above, near, or in the flight path of the proposed firework.
- Support the product properly, place it on a hard, flat, and non-combustible surface.
- Do not bend over the product during and after the ignition of the fuse.
- After firing the igniter, move quickly to a safe distance.
- If the product does not ignite, wait 10 to 15 minutes before approaching it.
- If the pyrotechnic article has not produced the required pyrotechnic effect, return the article to the seller.
- after the firework, pick up any rubbish left behind
You must hold a fireworks permit to organize fireworks:
- at a public event with a pyrotechnic article of categories F3 and F4.
- In a built-up area with pyrotechnic articles of category F4.
An application for a fireworks organization shall be submitted to the municipality or city government or the municipality or city government's relevant department.
For the organization of fireworks, a description must be drawn up of the proposed fireworks.
The organizer of the fireworks shall notify the following authorities at least three days in advance:
- the Police and Border Guard Board and the Rescue Board, in the case of fireworks with pyrotechnic articles of category F4 at a public event or in a built-up area.
- For the organization of fireworks with pyrotechnic articles of category T2 – the Rescue Services Authority.
- For the organization of fireworks in the vicinity of an airport using a pyrotechnic article with a height of flight of more than 45 meters – the Transport Administration.
Last updated: 06.04.2021